Each department is encouraged to designate a records liaison. The records liaison functions as the primary point of contact between each office and the records manager and should be knowledgeable about the department's current record keeping practices. The records liaison's responsibilities should be incorporated into his or her position description.
The records liaison should:
- Assist with the development and implementation of a records management program.
- Maintain control over confidential records, including their access, storage, and destruction.
- Notify the records manager of new or obsolete record series.
- Identify and oversee the transfer of permanent records to the University Archives.
- Oversee the transfer of inactive records to off-site storage until their retention has been met.